Weight loss tracker

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Cautionary tale - a'la La Fontaine...




There was a girl at my doctor’s office the other day. We were waiting for the secretary to hand out the documents we need for our adjustments. She looked well familiar with the setting, so I assumed she’s not a newbie (unlike me...). She was holding an open box of teacakes. She was from the biggish end of the obesity spectrum. Our doctor walked out of the office, greeted us. The girl said: “can I interests you with a teacake?”. Doc’s face went blank. He said: “No, thank you – I’m really not into sweets. AND NEITHER ARE YOU!” I swear he said it in capitals. I tried to turn invisible on that point. The girl started protesting, saying she only brought the cake for the secretary and anyway she’s diabetic so she couldn’t eat them even if she wanted to. Doc walked off the scene without further comment.

Later in the waiting room of the x-ray department (my doc does all the adjustments under x-ray with barium) I sat next to the girl and her partner. She was complaining about not losing weight as fast as she hoped; that she’s going to need another operation on her spine; that she’s got a dozen various appointment with various doctors in the coming month... etc, etc.

The open box of teacake was still in her hands... I looked away and tried to get back to my book.

That’s the tale. It did happen. And as with La Fontaine, the audience is kindly required to draw their own conclusions. I know I had mine – but I’m strongly opinionated in this topic, so I’m not going to share it with you guys. However, I cannot resist a pointer: WTF!! Coming to your adjustment with a box of cake in your hands!!!! And the government is paying for your treatment where I’m self funding??? REALLY?

Ok, no more – I’m going to get carried away and I might lose my first follower (Hello Tone!)

Oh, one more thing: I couldn’t help but put my doc’s shoes on for a while – how he must feel when he sees something like this! Slaving away in the theatre, operating on cases others gave up on, trying to give them a tool to improve their lives. And they come around to the appointment and offering him cake! He’s a great and strong man. He must be, because if it were me in his white coat I couldn’t have helped to make some stronger comment about wasting everybody’s time and some money in the process... But then again: I’m well opinionated.

Thank you for your kind attention.

No comments: